Help contribute to guest satisfaction by preparing, serving, selling and maintaining food / beverage items as a Line Cook with SSP America at Midway International Airport!
ABOUT SKILLS FOR CHICAGOLAND’S FUTURE
Give yourself a competitive advantage by applying to this role through Skills for Chicagoland’s Future (Skills). Skills is a nonprofit organization that partners with organizations across the Chicagoland area to place unemployed and underemployed job seekers into companies. These employers are committed to hiring talent through Skills.
Why utilize Skills for Chicagoland’s Future as one of your job search sources?
Skills is free for job seekers. Any job seeker who Skills determines is a match for the role is interviewed by a member of Skills’ Talent Acquisition Team and provided with additional insights into the role. As you move through the hiring process, Skills is your advocate with the hiring company.
Hiring Company Overview: SSP America
SSP America is a trailblazing company changing the face of dining at airports across North America. Our success is built on drive, determination, great ideas and a diverse team of talented ‘food travel experts’ who strive to triumph in everything we do. You don’t become a food travel expert by simply wearing a badge or a hat; you become an expert through time, education, experience and personal drive. That’s why we recruit talented individuals and have a vested interest in their development. We help our team members achieve their highest potential throughout their career with SSP in a positive and enjoyable working environment. Armed with a team that shares our passion for food and superior service, we are able to create and deliver the best experiences possible for all our guests.
Job Description: Line Cook
To prepare, serve, sell, and maintain food/beverage items. This includes, taking orders, receiving vendor deliveries, and cleaning of food items. These tasks are to be performed in a timely and professional manner to achieve the highest level of guest satisfaction.
- Understand that our guest is our #1 priority.
- Greet guests in a courteous and friendly manner (where applicable).
- Follow all recipes and practice portion control to prepare, garnish, and present ordered items.
- Partner with Prep Cooks and other Line Cooks to ensure completion of assigned job duties.
- Maintain proper and adequate set-up of the kitchen/station on a daily basis. This includes requisitioning and stocking of all required food, paper products, and condiments.
- Handles, stores, and rotates all products properly.
- Responsible for set-up, regular maintenance, cleaning, and break-down of any machinery and equipment.
- Responsible for maintaining stock, cutting, and storage of all perishables daily to ensure product quality.
- Complete opening, on-going, and closing checklists as required.
- Return all items used during your shift to the proper place, clean and organize all work and storage areas (including all coolers and refrigerators), empty and re-line all trash containers.
- Assumes 100% responsibility for quality of products served.
- Perform general and specific cleaning tasks using standard cleaning products as assigned by supervisor to adhere to health standards.
- Meet with manager upon arrival to discuss shift set-up, and check out with manager before leaving to ensure duties are completed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills & Requirements:
- One year experience working in food service environment is essential.
- High school diploma preferred.
- Verbal and written communication is essential. Able to read, speak, and understand the English language in order to communicate with guests and take orders.
- Experience in dealing with problems involving customer service.
- Basic mathematical skills necessary to accurately measure, weigh, and portion food, and total all other charges.
- Food handlers permit as required by law.
- Brand Certification, as required.
- Ability to remember, recite, and promote the variety of menu items.
- Ability to operate a keyboard & point of sale procedures to pre-check an order & close out a check.
- Ability to stand and work in confined spaces for long period of time.
Midway International Airport
5700 S. Cicero Ave.
Chicago, IL 60638
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
Drug-Free Workplace (DFW)
For more information about Skills for Chicagoland’s Future, and to view additional roles Skills is currently placing unemployed/underemployed job seekers into, visit www.scfjobs.com.