Facilitate airline passenger processing including (but not limited to) check-in, assistance to the departure gate, baggage claim area, and common areas of the airport. A professional and positive image must be consistently displayed by the employee.
ABOUT SKILLS FOR CHICAGOLAND’S FUTURE
Give yourself a competitive advantage by applying to this role through Skills for Chicagoland’s Future (Skills). Skills is a nonprofit organization that partners with organizations across the Chicagoland area to place unemployed and underemployed job seekers into companies. These employers are committed to hiring talent through Skills.
Why utilize Skills for Chicagoland’s Future as one of your job search sources?
Skills is free for job seekers. Any job seeker who Skills determines is a match for the role is interviewed by a member of Skills’ Talent Acquisition Team and provided with additional insights into the role. As you move through the hiring process, Skills is your advocate with the hiring company.
HIRING COMPANY SUMMARY:
United Ground Express (UGE), a subsidiary of United Airlines Inc., supports airline customers and flights at many airports across the United States. We assist customers from the moment they arrive at an airport through departure to their next destination. UGE is growing to expand to specific airports across the continental United States.
A job with United Ground Express will provide you with an exciting, fast-paced environment, the chance to leverage existing skills and learn new skills, and an opportunity to grow a career in the airline industry.
And to top it all off, you will get travel privileges through United Airlines, giving you access to one of the world’s most comprehensive global networks.
Passenger Service Agents positions encompass facilitating airline passenger processing including (but not limited to) check-in, assistance to the departure gate, baggage claim area, and common areas of the airport. Wheelchair Agents also push wheelchairs and carry personal items of passengers. This position requires working in a fast paced environment with time constraints to meet arrival and departure goals. A professional and positive image must be consistently displayed by the employee.
- Safely and comfortably lift disabled passengers with assistance from one mobility device to or from an aircraft seat
- Push wheelchair passengers to and from gates Carry passengers’ carry-on luggage
- Assist with checked and claimed luggage
- Roll customer-occupied wheelchair safely down the jet bridge
- Ensure wheel brakes are in place prior to allowing passengers to exit the wheelchair
- Complete any necessary wheelchair or incident reports Follow dispatcher gate orders
- Assist passenger with any problems, questions, or concerns Maintain professional working relationships with fellow employees, supervisors, managers, airline employees, and airport authorities Have computer, tablet or smartphone ability
- Exceed UGE customer service standards Carry out other duties as assigned
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must be able to clear a United Ground Express background check, drug test and a fingerprint-based criminal history check
- Obtain an airport security sensitive identification badge within 30 days of start date to qualify for unescorted access privileges to airport security identification display areas (SIDA) and Customs Border Protection (CBP) security access
- Able to greet and assist all customers in a prompt, friendly, and courteous manner. Must be able to push wheelchairs with wheelchair bound airline passengers through all areas of the airport, including terminal and gate areas, and assist with their personal
- needs and lifting bags at up to 75 lbs.
- Perform any reasonable customer service related job duty requested by Company supervision and/or airline customer.
- Able to stand and work in one location for up to four hours at a time. Work independently without direct supervision.
- Ability to read, fluently speak, and understand the English language.
- Must possess good communication skills and a friendly, outgoing personality.
- Must have reliable transportation and able to work weekends, holidays, and days off. Must successfully complete all required training
- Must be a citizen of the US or possess the necessary authorization from the immigration and naturalization Service (INS).
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. for any employer without sponsorship Must be eligible to obtain and maintain credentials necessary for the position.
- Must comply with United Ground Express’ Anti-Drug and Alcohol Misuse Prevention Policy Previous service-related experience (such as in retail or hospitality) is helpful.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL FUNCTIONS:
- Work schedules will span a 24/7 operation including weekends, holidays and overtime as needed. Flexible work shifts will be assigned and can include late nights and early mornings.
- Regular attendance and punctuality in accordance with United Ground Express’ policies are required. Overtime available/required depending upon operational need.
- Position requires you to perform a variety of physical activities such as, but not limited to, climbing, stooping, bending, working in tight spaces and lifting up to 75 pounds.
- Because of the nature of our business, it is important that you understand that we cannot guarantee any specific shift, schedule, or location to any employee. Although we will do everything possible to make assignments suitable to you, we must reserve the right to reassign and reschedule as the requirements of our business dictate.
- United Ground Express, as an equal opportunity employer, makes hiring decisions based on business needs and the best-qualified candidates available and does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of any protected category.
- United Ground Express is a drug-free workplace and conducts a random drug test. Employment with UGE is contingent upon a drug screen and 10-year criminal History records check.
For more information about Skills for Chicagoland’s Future, and to view additional roles Skills is currently placing unemployed/underemployed job seekers into, visit www.scfjobs.com.