Perform security related functions and guest screenings, while involved in the overall safeguarding of faculty, staff, patients, visitors and property. Must have a PERC or obtain within 90 days of employment.
Give yourself a competitive advantage by applying to this role through Skills for Chicagoland’s Future (Skills). Skills is a nonprofit organization that partners with organizations across the Chicagoland area to place unemployed and underemployed job seekers into companies. These employers are committed to hiring talent through Skills.
Why utilize Skills for Chicagoland’s Future as one of your job search sources?
Skills is free for job seekers. Any job seeker who Skills determines is a match for the role is interviewed by a member of Skills’ Talent Acquisition Team and provided with additional insights into the role. As you move through the hiring process, Skills is your advocate with the hiring company.
Hiring Company: The University of Chicago Medicine
|The University of Chicago Medicine and Biological Sciences, one of the nation’s leading academic medical institutions, has been at the forefront of medical care since 1927, when it first opened to patients. Today, it comprises the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, a top 10 medical school in the country; the University of Chicago Biological Sciences Division, a section committed to scientific discovery; and the University of Chicago Medical Center, consistently ranked among the best hospitals in the nation by U.S. News & World Report. Twelve Nobel Prize winners in physiology or medicine have been affiliated with the University of Chicago Medicine.
University of Chicago Medicine physicians are members of the University of Chicago Physicians Group, which includes more than 700 physicians and covers the full array of medical and surgical specialties. University of Chicago Medicine physicians are faculty members of the Pritzker School of Medicine. The University of Chicago Medicine has been at the forefront of medical care since 1927, when we opened our doors to the first patients. Located in historic Hyde Park on the South Side of Chicago, the medical campus includes the Center for Care and Discovery, Comer Children’s Hospital, Bernard A. Mitchell Hospital for adult inpatient care, Chicago Lying-in Hospital, and the Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine.
5841 S. Maryland Avenue, Chicago, IL, 60637, in Chicago’s historic Hyde Park neighborhood. Close proximity to major public transit options.
Performs a variety of security and safety related functions while involved in the safeguarding of faculty, staff, patients, visitors and property. Greets visitors and ensures that each is properly directed based on established security guidelines. Staffs individual security posts. Periodically tours buildings and grounds for security inspection. Maintains logs and writes incident reports as appropriate. Requests emergency services assistance and provides support when necessary. Enforces procedural rules and regulations.
- Under the direction of the Public Safety Officer, assists faculty, staff, patients, and visitors whenever needed and works to maintain a safe and secure environment for the entire Medical Center Community.
- Patrols the entire medical center on foot and inspects hallways, stairways, and all other public areas for fire/safety hazards. Reports any unusual condition or malfunctioning equipment.
- Routinely provides escort service upon request. Attends court or other legal proceedings to provide details of specific incidents as required.
- In conjunction with the University Police Department, assists with investigations of all criminal and/or suspicious occurrences in the medical center and reports same.
- Checks incoming personnel and visitors after hours.
- Enforces photo ID policy and parcel inspection policy along with all other University and University of Chicago Medicine policies.
- Performs individual security post functions as set forth in Departmental policies and procedures.
- In the event of emergencies, requests emergency services assistance, obtains necessary information, and notifies appropriate personnel giving nature and location of incident. Evacuate persons from dangerous areas, secure buildings or areas, and/or assist in disaster situations.
- Assists in conducting fire and other security-related drills.
- Assists in patient restraint (i.e. Emergency Department, Psychiatric unit).
- Performs other duties assigned.
- High school diploma/GED required.
- A Permanent Employee Registration Card (PERC), as defined in the Private Detective, Private Alarm, Private Security, Fingerprint Vendor and Locksmith Act, issued by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation within 90 days of employment required.
- At least 1 year (with one employer) experience in security or law enforcement required (ex. bank security, high end hotel).
- Exceptional customer service and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to be flexible and respond quickly to different situations, environments, and departments
- Ability to complete assigned tasks without direct supervision.
- Ability to stand or sit for long periods of time
- Must be open to a background check & drug test
- Starts as on-call employment, after 90 days UCMC will evaluate performance/attendance and determine converting to full-time permanent employment. Hours will normally range between 25 to 40.
- You must have open availability and be able to work any shift
- 1st: 7am – 3pm, 2nd: 3pm – 11pm, 3rd: 11pm – 7am
Compensation & Benefits
Competitive compensation. Eligible for full benefits package once converted full-time and permanent after 90 days.