Join Divvy’s fast growing team as they gear up for a summer of bike sharing! Divvy is now hiring Field Bike Technician’s to drive around Chicago’s neighborhoods rotating, repairing, and fine-tuning Divvy’s classic blue bicycles!
Give yourself a competitive advantage by applying to this role through Skills for Chicagoland’s Future (Skills). Skills is a nonprofit organization that partners with organizations across the Chicagoland area to place unemployed and underemployed job seekers with employers that are committed to hiring talent through Skills.
Why utilize Skills for Chicagoland’s Future as one of your job search sources?
Skills is your advocate with the hiring company throughout the hiring process. Any job seeker who Skills determines is a match for the role is interviewed by a member of Skills’ Talent Acquisition Team and provided with additional insights into the role. Additionally, Skills is free for job seekers.
Hiring Company (Divvy)
Divvy is Chicago’s bike share system—operated by Motivate International, Inc.—with hundreds of stations and thousands of bikes available across the city. Under contract with the City of Chicago DOT, Divvy is excited to expand operations and seeks talented individuals to help build the most convenient, fast, fun, and affordable way to get around Chicago. More at DivvyBikes.com.
Overview of Position
Divvy is seeking Field Bike Technicians to help with all aspects of field bicycle maintenance, cleaning, and repair. Training on technical and unique aspects of Bike Share bikes will be provided. You’ll be a part of a groundbreaking team that focuses on the successful launch of an innovative bicycle transportation system with emphasis on building strong client and sponsor relationships while exceeding the highest standards for service.
Key Aspects of Position
● Interacts with customers and potential customers in public—represents Divvy and Motivate responsibly and effectively
● Inspects and evaluates bicycles and bike share stations for safety, function, and cleanliness
● Performs routine bicycle maintenance and cleaning, and minor repairs as necessary
● Identifies and reports bicycles in need of in-house repair
● Performs minor station maintenance, and repairs as necessary
● Identifies, reports, and resolves (if possible) all station malfunctions and/or problems
● Uses communication and computer technology effectively to record all maintenance/repair activity
● Assists with station assembly and installation as necessary/assigned
● Retrieves bicycles tagged for in-house repair
● Receives training in all aspects of Divvy operations, including:
o Bicycle maintenance and repair
o Driving safety and procedure
o Basic customer service and public relations
● May serve as bicycle valet as needed for special events when surplus of bicycles must be corralled near stations keeping bikes organized and secured
● Other duties as necessary/assigned
Required Skills and Experience
● Valid driver’s license and acceptable Motor Vehicle Record
● Mechanical and technical aptitude
● Experience with hand, air, and power tools
● Good written and verbal communication skills
● Proficiency using Google Drive applications
● Ability to be both self-directed and to work well in a collaborative team environment
● Comfortable in a fast paced, warehouse/shop environment
● Ability to lift up to 50 lbs; cycle up to 10 miles per day in urban areas; stoop, bend, and stand for long periods
● Willingness and ability to work off hours and/or weekends
● Excellent customer service skills
● Excitement and interest in bike sharing a must
Preferred Skills and Experience
● Experience driving a Sprinter van or a similarly large vehicle in an urban environment
● Previous bicycle, mechanical and/or logistics experience
Compensation – $12.50 per hour
Note: The above description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities due to the nature of work performed to accomplish Motivate’s Mission.
Motivate is a drug-free workplace and is proud to be an equal opportunity/ affirmative action employer.