Hiring Company: Blue Cross Blue Shield (Health Care Service Corporation)
Why Start your Career at Health Care Service Corporation?
Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC), a Mutual Legal Reserve Company and an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, is the largest customer-owned health insurer in the United States and fourth largest overall, operating through our Blue Cross and Blue Shield® Plans in Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas. HCSC affiliates and subsidiaries such as Dearborn National®, TMG Health and Medecision, offer group life, disability and dental solutions, as well as a range of other individual solutions. The company, founded in 1936, serves nearly 15 million members across five states and employs more than 21,000 people in over 60 local offices. HCSC is dedicated to expanding access to high quality, cost effective health care and equipping our members with information and tools so they can make the best health care decisions for themselves and their families. Our health plans were pioneers in their states, as they were the first to provide coverage for a number of procedures ranging from heart and bone marrow transplants, to cancer and leukemia treatments. Today, we are leaders in the development of value-based care models to spur greater collaboration and accountability among various stakeholders to improve the health care experience for patients and consumers and enable them lead healthier lives.
Position: Associate Developer
What Are Your Responsibilities?
This position is responsible for developing, integrating, testing, and maintaining existing and new applications; knowing one or more programming languages; knowing one or more development methodologies / delivery models.
What Do You Need To Be Successful?
- Provide subject matter expertise to Portfolio teams, as required.
- Contribute to product feature prioritization and technology roadmaps.
- Design, build and unit test highly scalable applications.
- Provide maintenance support to applications as required supporting incident escalations.
- Identify new technologies, trends, and opportunities.
- Participate in sprint planning, design, coding, unit testing, sprint reviews.
- Provide basic design documents and translates into component-level designs to accelerate development. Design, develop, and distribute reusable technical components.
- Assist in developing of technical documentation; participate in test-plan development, integration and deployment.
- Define & develop project requirements, functional specifications and detailed designs of application solutions for clients.
What Are the Requirements You Must Meet?
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in a Business related field majoring in Information Technology, Computer Science, STEM, or related field.
- Graduation date between June 2017– June 2020.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0.
- Possess ability to perform computer entry for entire work shift, as required.
- Possess ability to manage workload, manage multiple priorities, and manage conflicts with customers/employees/managers, as applicable.
- Knowledge of scripting languages (/ PYTHON / RUBY).
- Knowledge of application / product feature design.
- Knowledge of mobile technologies (HP Anywhere / iOS / Android / Java / HTML5).
- Knowledge of service oriented architecture (SOA).
- Knowledge of web technologies (HTML/CSS/Java/ASP.Net/PHP/Ruby/C#).
- Knowledge of cloud computing technologies (SaaS / IaaS / PaaS).
- Knowledge of application configuration.
- SDLC Methodology (Agile / Scrum / Iterative Development).
- System performance management.
- Systems change / configuration management.
- Business requirements management.
- Problem solving /analytical thinking.
- Creative thinking.
- Ability to execute.
- Unrestricted authorization to work in the United States. At this time we cannot consider candidates with OPT or CPT visas.
What Are the Preferred Requirements You Must Meet?
- Java 8 Certification.
- One year of internship experience.
What Does the New Grad Program Entail?
- Formal Orientation to build business and industry acumen.
- Challenging real world hands on project.
- Quarterly networking opportunities & professional development workshops among peers and company leaders.
- Business Resource Group involvement.
- Volunteer activities.
- Mentorship opportunities.
Location : The beautiful corporate headquarters is located in Downtown Chicago, just across the street from Millennium Park.
Compensation : Competitive compensation and benefits
Position Type : Full-time; Monday-Friday, 8 AM-6 PM
HCSC is committed to diversity in the workplace and to providing equal opportunity and affirmative action to employees and applicants. We are an Equal Opportunity Employment / Affirmative Action employer dedicated to workforce diversity and a drug-free and smoke-free workplace. Drug screening and background investigation are required, as allowed by law. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Give yourself a competitive advantage by applying to this role through Skills for Chicagoland’s Future (Skills). Skills is a nonprofit organization that partners with organizations across the Chicagoland area to place unemployed and underemployed job seekers with employers that are committed to hiring talent through Skills.
The Skills U2.0 initiative serves as the critical link connecting quality, early-career professionals to employers committed to hiring this talent. No matter your interests, U2.0 expands your opportunities and helps to put you on the pathway to lifelong career success. Visit SCFJobs.com/College to learn more about Skills for Chicagoland’s Future & the U2.0 initiative.