Join Divvy’s fast growing team as they gear up for a summer of bike sharing! Divvy is now hiring Bike Technician’s aka mechanics of all levels to maintain, repair, and fine-tuning Divvy’s classic blue bicycles!
About Skills for Chicagoland’s Future
Give yourself a competitive advantage by applying to this role through Skills for Chicagoland’s Future (Skills). Skills is a nonprofit organization that partners with organizations across the Chicagoland area to place unemployed and underemployed job seekers with employers that are committed to hiring talent through Skills.
Why utilize Skills for Chicagoland’s Future as one of your job search sources?
Skills is your advocate with the hiring company throughout the hiring process. Any job seeker who Skills determines is a match for the role is interviewed by a member of Skills’ Talent Acquisition Team and provided with additional insights into the role. Additionally, Skills is free for job seekers.
Hiring Company (Divvy)
Divvy is Chicago’s bike share system—operated by Motivate International, Inc.—with hundreds of stations and thousands of bikes available across the city. Under contract with the City of Chicago DOT, Divvy is excited to expand operations and seeks talented individuals to help build the most convenient, fast, fun, and affordable way to get around Chicago. More at DivvyBikes.com.
Overview of Position
Divvy’s Bike Fleet works to make sure that our bicycles are in working order for our customers by completing work in our bike shops as well as in the field via Bike Mechanics, Field Bike Technicians and Field Bike Mechanics. Field Bike Mechanics are a new position to bring the expertise of a Bike Mechanic into the field to make repairs on-the-spot as needed. Training on technical and unique aspects of Bike Share bikes will be provided.
- Assist with assembly, maintenance, and repair of a fleet of over 6,000 bicycles, troubleshooting and devising solutions as needed.
- Complete repairs in a professional, efficient and timely manner.
- Complete reporting as required, ensuring that all reporting is accurate, complete and timely.
- Adhere to scheduled assignments and schedules.
- Follow all required procedures and policies.
- Respond to requests from manager(s).
- Assist in maintaining an OSHA compliant workplace, following any required work safety rules.
- Work to help manage the inventory, organization, and cleanliness of their own work tools and supplies.
- Maintain a positive relationship with all co-workers.
- Work under the guidance of the Bike Fleet Manager and Assistant Managers.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience repairing bikes, working as a mechanic or working in a related hands-on repair role required
- Experience riding bicycles in city environments with pedestrian and vehicle traffic.
- Excitement and interest in bike sharing is a must.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Technical and mechanical aptitude and innovation.
- Adaptability – Enthusiastically adapt to changes in the work environment.
- Dependability – Follow instructions; respond to management direction; communicate frequently; solicit feedback to improve performance.
- Interpersonal skills – maintain confidentiality; remain open to others’ ideas; demonstrate patience and willingness to try new things.
- Creativity – actively seek creative solutions and continuously seek to improve all aspects of shop operations.
- Ability to lift up to 65 pounds; stoop, bend, and stand for long periods of time.
- Willingness and ability to work outdoors, year-round, in most weather conditions
- This position may require hours which exceed 8 hours per day and/or 40 hours per week.
Compensation – $14.75 per hour
Please be advised that this position is part of a bargaining unit where the terms and conditions of employment are governed by a Collective Bargaining Agreement.
For more information about Skills for Chicagoland’s Future, and to view additional roles Skills is currently placing unemployed/underemployed job seekers into, visit www.scfjobs.com.