The Patient Services Representative (PSR) is the primary employee responsible for coordinating post-appointment activities including collection, review and update of all practice-specific forms, the printing of the After Visit Summary (AVS), communication of payment policies regarding current services and prior balances, collection of payments, assistance with scheduling follow up appointments and procedures using appropriate medical terminology, and notification of Valet Services if applicable to expedite automobile retrieval. The Patient Services Representative is also responsible for coordinating appropriate insurance clearances for the patient if not otherwise completed.
ABOUT SKILLS FOR CHICAGOLAND’S FUTURE
Give yourself a competitive advantage by applying to this role through Skills for Chicagoland’s Future (Skills). Skills is a nonprofit organization that partners with organizations across the Chicagoland area to place unemployed and underemployed job seekers into companies. These employers are committed to hiring talent through Skills.
Why utilize Skills for Chicagoland’s Future as one of your job search sources?
Skills is free for job seekers. Any job seeker who Skills determines is a match for the role is interviewed by a member of Skills’ Talent Acquisition Team and provided with additional insights into the role. As you move through the hiring process, Skills is your advocate with the hiring company.
Hiring Company: The University of Chicago Medicine
The University of Chicago Medicine and Biological Sciences, one of the nation’s leading academic medical institutions, has been at the forefront of medical care since 1927 when it first opened to patients. Today, it comprises the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, a top 10 medical school in the country; the University of Chicago Biological Sciences Division, a section committed to scientific discovery; and the University of Chicago Medical Center, consistently ranked among the best hospitals in the nation by U.S. News & World Report. Twelve Nobel Prize winners in physiology or medicine have been affiliated with the University of Chicago Medicine.
University of Chicago Medicine physicians are members of the University of Chicago Physicians Group, which includes more than 700 physicians and covers the full array of medical and surgical specialties. Our physicians are faculty members of the Pritzker School of Medicine. The University of Chicago Medicine has been at the forefront of medical care since 1927 when we opened our doors to the first patients. Located in historic Hyde Park on the South Side of Chicago, the medical campus includes the Center for Care and Discovery, Comer Children’s Hospital, Bernard A. Mitchell Hospital for adult inpatient care, Chicago Lying-in Hospital, and the Duchossois Center for Advanced Medicine.
Performs activities that support the daily functions and operations of a patient care unit team. In a “sitter” capacity provides constant observation and documentation of the activity of assigned patients. Works under the direction of the Registered Nurse in the assigned area.
JOB SUMMARY The Patient Services Representative (PSR) is the primary employee responsible for coordinating post-appointment activities including collection, review and update of all practice specific forms, printing of the After Visit Summary (AVS), communication of payment policies regarding current services and prior balances, collection of payments, assistance with scheduling follow up appointments and procedures using appropriate medical terminology, and notification of Valet Services if applicable to expedite automobile retrieval. The Patient Services Representative is also responsible for coordinating appropriate insurance clearances for the patient if not otherwise completed.
Essential Job Functions
- Greets each patient and visitor, introduce yourself and ask if everything was taken of care of today.
- Verifies the patient identity per protocol and collects the practice specific forms.
- Coordinates the ABNs and the AVS and reviews for instructions regarding follow-up appointments and/or testing for the patient. Ensures patient has understood and signed the ABN form. Provide the patient with the AVS form and explain that it provides a summary of their visit, medications and follow-up activities.
- Reviews forms with the patients and ensure that all necessary demographic, insurance and referral information has been collected and updates in the computer system.
- Reviews the practice specific forms for completion and scan under the appropriate document type.
- Clearly and accurately communicates payment policies regarding amounts due for current service and for prior balances owed based on financial class or insurance requirements. Collects and documents payments, including accurately and efficiently counting cash and making change as appropriate or accepting and processing credit card payments. Prepares and issues receipts and follows the Point of Service Collections policy for depositing payments.
- Accurately records check-out time in Epic.
- Assist the patient with appropriate directions and /or other general information requests.
- Understands and utilizes basic medical terminology Schedules follow-up appointments. Arrange for interpreter services if the need is apparent. Documents appointment times and dates on the AVS.
- Contacts Valet Services to alert staff of the need to retrieve the patient’s automobile. Closes the visit by offering additional assistance and thanking the patient.
- Performs basic office and other duties as assigned including but not limited to typing and data entry.
QUALIFICATIONS Associate or Bachelor’s Degree preferred; High School Diploma required Prior experience in a practice setting preferred including in-depth knowledge of appropriate insurance protocols Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with patients, physicians, management, staff and other customers Exceptional customer service skills including the ability to use independent thinking, sound judgment and creativity when resolving customer issues Ability to balance multiple priorities and effectively handle challenging situations Excellent verbal communication skills Basic office skills including 35 wpm typing and 4500 key stokes an hour. Ability to accurately and efficiently enter alpha numeric data on screen Knowledge of basic medical terminology Ability to use personal computers and select software applications including Epic Successful completion of competencies related to the Cadence Scheduling system Successful completion of competencies related to the Point of Service Collection policy
Eligible for full benefits package once converted FT and permanent
Must be able to successfully pass drug test and background check.
5841 S. Maryland Avenue, Chicago, IL, 60637, in Chicago’s historic Hyde Park neighborhood.
For more information about Skills for Chicagoland’s Future, and to view additional roles Skills is currently placing unemployed/underemployed job seekers into, visit www.scfjobs.com.