Looking to grow your management skills at a leading Chicagoland retailer? Apply to the Jewel-Osco Department Manager Trainee opportunity today! Trainees are set on a defined career path and receive ongoing professional development, leading them to a management or director position within 3 years. If you’re a natural leader who excels at customer service, apply today!
Recent College Grads – Start your career now
Invest in yourself and get a leg up on the competition!
Skills for Chicagoland’s Future (Skills) is here to help accelerate your pathway into a career with long-term growth potential. Need access to good jobs that actually use your degree? We have partnered with leading companies eager to hire recent graduates like you! If you recently graduated with a Bachelor’s degree, no matter the major, we are here to help you start your career in the right direction.
- Priority Access to Jobs: We have jobs for you. We work with leading corporations that are specifically looking to hire recent grads like you in finance, business management, insurance, and sales! The Skills team is also your advocate throughout the hiring process to ensure you’re seen as the priority candidate you are.
- Professional Development: Skills will help ensure your resume is built for the company you want to work at and coach you on how to ace your interview.
- Interview Stipend: Earn some extra cash as a reward for your time!
- 0 to 2 years of work experience
- Bachelor’s degree
Give yourself a competitive advantage by applying to this role through Skills for Chicagoland’s Future (Skills). Skills is a nonprofit organization that partners with organizations across the Chicagoland area to place unemployed and underemployed job seekers with employers that are committed to hiring talent through Skills.
Hiring Company: Jewel-Osco
Jewel began as a band of door-to-door salesmen, selling tea and coffee from the back of horse-drawn wagons. Today, Jewel-Osco is a vital part of Albertsons Inc., a privately held grocery company that is proud to continue serving the Chicagoland area and beyond. At present, Jewel-Osco operates 187 stores throughout the Chicagoland area, Indiana and Iowa, part of a 2,200+ store operation employing over 265,000 people nationwide.
- Provide friendly, courteous, and prompt customer service;
- attain budgeted sales and profit goals of the Floral/Chef’s Kitchen/Bake Shop/Farmstand/Market Departments;
- train and supervise Department associates;
- direct and participate in all Floral/Chef’s Kitchen/Bake Shop/Farmstand/Market activities;
- communicate with Store Director;
- monitor and enforce government and Jewel regulations
- compile and place shop orders.
- Assists and communicates with customers in a friendly, courteous, and prompt manner; receives and records special customer orders via the telephone or in the store utilizing suggestive sales techniques.
- Updates Department décor for seasonal merchandising. Attains budgeted sales and profit goals of the Floral/Chef’s Kitchen/Bake Shop/Farmstand/Market Department.
- Prepares weekly work schedule to ensure adequate coverage and service level, while adhering to weekly sales/labor rate.
- Trains and supervises Department associates in all Floral/Chef’s Kitchen/Bake Shop/Farmstand/Market activities, policies, and procedures. Reports incidents requiring discipline to the Store Director.
- Evaluates performance and counsels Department associates.
- Compiles Department orders and inventories; orders products from the warehouse and direct suppliers using an order guide or the telephone. Communicates with Store Director on Floral/Chef’s Kitchen/Bake Shop/Farmstand/Market activities.
- Prepares and completes documentation required by the Company or Store Director.
- Monitors comply and enforce government and Jewel policies and procedures.
- Prepares gift baskets, party trays, special orders, floral arrangements, and/or other Department items in keeping with Company merchandising plans, customer requests, and general aesthetic principals.
- Attends Company training meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Store Director.
- Ability to frequently reach, lift, and maneuver objects of varying dimensions and weights up to approximately 50 lbs.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, walk, move rapidly, bend, stoop, twist and turn frequently.
- Manual dexterity and good hand-eye coordination are necessary
- Exposure to approximately 150 degrees Fahrenheit while handling products in hot cases, 35 degrees Fahrenheit while handling products in cold cases, 28 degrees Fahrenheit while handling products in cooler.
- Working conditions consist of a temperature-controlled store environment.
- Available to work nights, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to work outdoors.
- High school diploma
- Updated resume
- Previous customer service experience
- Previous leadership experience
- Valid state-issued photo identification
- Social Security card
- Previous teamwork experience highly preferred
- Strong work ethic
- Work smart under pressure
- 40 hours per week + overtime
Why utilize Skills for Chicagoland’s Future as one of your job search sources? Skills is your advocate with the hiring company throughout the hiring process. Any job seeker who Skills determines is a match for the role is interviewed by a member of Skills’ Talent Acquisition Team and provided with additional insights into the role. Additionally, Skills is free for job seekers.