The Residential Treatment Specialist provides direct service to children and adolescents with behavioral and emotional disorders in a residential setting. The position requires general supervision of residents, teaching appropriate daily living and social skills, implementation of the daily schedule, behavior management, crisis intervention, group work, implementation of recreational activities, report writing and records management, and overseeing all aspects of daily living for the residents. The RTS is expected to role model how to work cooperatively with their team. They are also expected to conduct themselves in a professional, ethical, and therapeutic manner at all times with residents, resident family members and co-workers.
|Essential Duties & Responsibilities:|
|Job Knowledge Demonstration
• Supervises and monitors the whereabouts and activities of all assigned residents during the scheduled shift of a 24-hour day.
• Maintains current knowledge through participation in mandatory training.
• Understands the treatment goals of the program and the RTS role in residential treatment.
• Uses knowledge of child development and childhood disorders, when intervening with residents.
• Follows all UCAN policies and procedures in the performance of duties.
• Utilizes available programs, resources and materials to meet the needs of the residents.
• Is knowledgeable of the UCAN Clinical Philosophy and the residential program clinical model.
• Understands and appropriately utilizes the established UCAN treatment interventions.Dorm and Client Behavior Management
• Manages the behavior of residents through use of approved behavioral management interventions and works with residents toward the accomplishment of treatment goals.
• Fairly and consistently enforces rules and applies appropriate consequences as needed.
• Implements individual behavior management plans for residents on the dorm through a teamwork approach and makes suggestions to the team based on observations and interactions with the residents.
• Appropriately and consistently implements behavior management interventions.
• Effectively manages the daily routine and follows dorm schedules.
• Effectively leads dorm based groups per level responsibilities.
• Develops and implements dorm based programs per level responsibilities.
• Assists residents in identifying behavioral alternatives and selecting appropriate behaviors.
• Supervises and monitors the residents self administration of medication.
• Will be trained in the monitoring of physical vital signs such as; blood pressure, respiration, temperature, and heart rate. Subsequently will be expected to periodically perform such monitoring on the residents as needed.
• Will be trained in the use of an intoximeter. Subsequently will be expected to periodically perform such monitoring on the residents as needed.
• Will be trained in the procedure for administering a urine toxicology screen. Subsequently will be expected to perform such screening on the residents as needed.
• Demonstrates a positive therapeutic approach with residents and reinforces positive behaviors.
• Effectively addresses and resolves conflict between residents.Maintaining Safety/Security
• Manages daily routines and monitors the safety conditions and overall cleanliness of the residential program.
• Provides transportation for residents as needed and within program guidelines.
• Maintains clean and orderly surroundings to minimize the opportunity for unsafe behaviors.
• Follows all policies, procedure, protocol and safety directives in order to create and maintain a consistent, predictable and safe environment.
• Demonstrate proficient skills and uses them appropriately during physical intervention.
• Maintains alertness to potentially unsafe situations and responds to maintain a safe environment for all.
• Monitors resident behavior to ensure that they are not a danger to themselves, other residents, or to staff.
Developing Therapeutic Relationships
Professionalism and Work Conduct
• BSW or BA/BS in Human Service field
• Has a working knowledge of computer use.
Special Knowledge and Qualifications:
Type of work:
For more information about Skills for Chicagoland’s Future, and to view additional roles Skills is currently placing unemployed/underemployed job seekers into, visit www.scfjobs.com.